10 Ways to Give Back on Martin Luther King Day
Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday can also be referred to as the King Day of Service. To honor everything Martin Luther King Jr. stood for, thousands of people across the country donate their time to make a difference today with outpatient treatment near me.
The cornerstone of all Twelve step fellowships as well as in groups in Day Group (outpatient treatment), is emphasizing the importance of service. Once we complete the steps, the fellowships believe the only way to keep what we have is by giving it away to the still suffering addict or alcoholic.
As a recovering addict or alcoholic, or a member of the sober community in outpatient treatment, we have so many options to be of service to anyone in the fellowships or even our communities.
Here are 10 ways you can donate your time to something meaningful today:
- Visit a soup kitchen to see if you can help in the front lines
- Call someone in recovery to check on how they are, and be there to listen to anything they might want to talk about
- If it is within your means, bring donated pet food to a local animal shelter
- Reach out to a newcomer in the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous
- Help a neighbor shovel their driveway
- Sign up for a service commitment at your next meeting
- Donate your time at a senior citizen nursing home
- Put a dollar in the basket when passed around
- Arrive at a meeting a few minutes early to help set up chairs or clean out ashtrays
- Pay for the car behind you at the drive through
If you are thinking of joining our sober community and are looking to find an outpatient treatment near me, contact GateHouse Treatment.